البيت الآرامي العراقي




البيت الآرامي العراقي

سياسي ِ ثقافي ِ أجتماعي


 
الرئيسيةالرئيسيةبحـثالتسجيلarakeyboardsyrkeyboardدخول

شاطر | 
 

 Forces In Action Over Libya

استعرض الموضوع السابق استعرض الموضوع التالي اذهب الى الأسفل 
كاتب الموضوعرسالة
البيت الارامي العراقي
الادارة
الادارة



الدولة : المانيا
الجنس : ذكر
عدد المساهمات : 9516
تاريخ التسجيل : 07/10/2009
التوقيت :

مُساهمةموضوع: Forces In Action Over Libya    الأحد 20 مارس 2011, 4:41 am

Forces In Action Over Libya



British forces are in action over Libya, Prime Minister David Cameron has confirmed, as UN allies begin military strikes on the country in earnest.Speaking outside 10 Downing Street after an emergency Cobra meeting, Mr Cameron said the action being taken by international forces was "necessary, legal and right".

The co-ordinated action was launched against the Libya after leader Muammar Gaddafi apparently defied the UN's demand that he stop attacking his own people.Military forces have so far taken to the air and water to attack Libya, as the severity of the situation rapidly escalates.French warplanes are patrolling Libyan skies and have fired on pro-Gaddafi vehicles.

Coalition vessels have also fired 110 Tomahawk missiles at Libya's air defences, and British ships are also involved in a naval blockade of the country, sources have told Sky News.Loud blasts have been heard east of the capital Tripoli and fireballs were reportedly seen on the horizon.Meanwhile, Libyan state television reported the bombardment of civilian sites in Tripoli, by the planes of "crusader enemies" - a reference to the West.

The initiation of military action was revealed by Western leaders, following a summit in Paris to decide how to deal with what they said was the dictator's breach of a self-imposed ceasefire.French President Nicolas Sarkozy said after the meeting that military force would be used "in the absence of an immediate ceasefire" because "the Libyan people need our help."Reports suggested Libyan forces intended to deploy 'human shields' to thwart any UN-backed bombing campaign.

As military forces swung into action, the International Red Cross called on all sides to spare civilians and respect international law as military action began, and said medical staff and ambulances should be allowed access to the wounded.Reports said the rebel stronghold of Benghazi has been attacked by Gaddafi's militia, and the insurgents claim a captured warplane was shot down.

Sky's Lisa Holland, reporting from the Libyan capital of Tripoli under government restrictions, said: "I cannot independently confirm the claim of human shields but if it is true it is a worrying development that shows the regime will stop at nothing."The rebel pilot of the fighter jet, which may have been shot down or suffered catastrophic engine failure, ejected moments it crashed in a fireball in Benghazi's southern suburbs.

Sky's Emma Hurd, who witnessed the crash, said: "It had been circling above the heavily populated areas and then it went into a fast dive and caught on fire."A Benghazi resident named Sam later claimed the city was being hit by rocket fire from ground forces loyal to Libyan dictator Colonel Gaddafi.

She told Sky News: "Benghazi has been under continuous bombing since around 6am this morning - it was non-stop and the windows were shaking."Their troops have been bombing civilian areas with no military facilities... Civilians are being attacked in Benghazi."But a government official insisted military forces were not being used to attack the city on Saturday, amid claims of 25 dead being taken to the city's hospitals.

Sky News foreign editor Tim Marshall also revealed that paucity of information coming from the city of 675,000 people."We have very little factual detail coming out of Benghazi, instead we have claim and counter-claim," Marshall said."Just as the Libyan forces are capable of using propaganda, the rebel forces are prepared to use it too, in an attempt to draw in outside forces to help their cause."

Libya declared a ceasefire on Friday after the UN authorised the no-fly zone over the country.Deputy foreign minister Khaled Kaim told Holland: "We are categorically denying there is any military operation on the ground (in the city of Benghazi) since we announced the decision has been made to cease fire."

Regime spokesman Ibrahim Moussa later said the Gaddafi's government remained defiant about the threat of military action.Mr Moussa also denied government forces shelled any Libyan towns today, saying the rebels were the ones breaking the ceasefire by attacking military forces.

Reading from a letter sent by the dictator to Mr Cameron, Mr Sarkozy and the UN secretary general, he said: "You will regret it if you take a step towards intervening in our internal affairs, in our country."The UN security council is not authorised, according to the UN charter, to intervene in the internal affairs of any country."

Col Gaddafi insisted the rebels are Islamists and said in the statement: "We are fighting al Qaeda, in what they call the Islamic Maghreb."Libya's oil minister warned Western companies under contract to continue operating in the country otherwise Chinese and Indian oil firms may be given those rights.

:: A resident of the western town of Misratah told Reuters Gaddafi's forces were on the outskirts of the rebel town and water supplies had been cut off.

Sky News 2011


Email This BlogThis! Share to Twitter Share to Facebook Share to Google Buzz

Reactions:
0 comments Links to this post







if (window['tickAboveFold']) {window['tickAboveFold'](document.getElementById("latency-6825563475115444976")); }

ICRC call to spare civilians



The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said that as allied air strikes began on Libya, it was calling on all warring parties to spare civilians and respect international humanitarian law.

The Swiss-based agency, one of the few agencies deploying aid workers in Benghazi in the east, also called for safe passage for medical workers and ambulances to the wounded as Libyan forces battled rebels in the rebel-held town.But it had no immediate information on casualties there as its aid workers had been confined to shelters due to bombing.

"As airstrikes in Libya by international forces begin, the ICRC calls upon all parties -- the international forces, the Libyan government forces, and the armed opposition -- to abide strictly by the rules and principles of international humanitarian law," it said in a statement.

"Attacks that directly target the civilian population are strictly prohibited by international humanitarian law," Yves Daccord, ICRC director-general said."That law also prohibits the use of human shields... The parties must take all precautions, including in their choice of means and methods of warfare, to avoid as far as possible harming civilians," he said.

Allied warplanes have gone into in action to stop Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi's forces attacking Benghazi, French President Nicolas Sarkozy said on Saturday. Gaddafi's troops on Saturday morning pushed into the outskirts of Benghazi, a city of 670,000 people, in an apparent attempt to pre-empt military intervention expected after a meeting of Western and Arab leaders in Paris.

The ICRC, an independent humanitarian agency, voiced concern about the intensification of fighting around heavily populated Libyan cities including Benghazi."We urge the parties to the conflict to allow humanitarian organizations safe access to war-affected areas and to enable medical personnel and ambulances to reach the wounded," Daccord said.

Combatants who surrender, are wounded, captured or no longer taking part in the hostilities should be treated humanely, the agency said.Four ICRC aid workers returned on Friday to Benghazi, where they have been helping local doctors and hospitals, after withdrawing two days earlier due to insecurity.

But on Saturday they were forced to retreat to a shelter outside of city limits due to the bombardments, ICRC spokesman Steven Anderson told Reuters."They are ready to return as soon as the security situation permits," he said.

Reuters


Email This BlogThis! Share to Twitter Share to Facebook Share to Google Buzz

Reactions:
0 comments Links to this post







if (window['tickAboveFold']) {window['tickAboveFold'](document.getElementById("latency-271754362518914426")); }

Thousands in Iraq protest Bahrain



More than 5,000 Iraqis rallied Friday in northern Diyala province to denounce a crackdown on Shia-led demonstrators in Bahrain, with many volunteering to join the protests in the Gulf kingdom.The biggest turnout was about 3,000 protesters in the city of Jadidat Al-Shat, with another 2,000 in Khales and some 500 in the provincial capital of Baquba.

"Thousands of volunteers are asking the Iraqi government to open the way for them to go to Bahrain to support their brothers there," said Fadel Mohammed Saeed, a religious leader in Jadidat Al-Shat, which has a large Shia population. Diyala province is predominantly Sunni, but with a large Shia minority.

In Baquba, demonstrators converged outside the provincial council building in the capital's centre, demanding that outside forces leave Bahrain, and calling on Arab governments to stand beside the people of Bahrain.

"We are ready to volunteer to defend the soil of Bahrain," read a banner carried by demonstrators in Baquba. Five people were killed Wednesday when security forces crushed a month-old pro-democracy sit-in at Manama's Pearl Square, after a Saudi-led force of about 1,000 troops entered the Sunni-ruled Gulf state to help restore security.

"Bahrain is free, free, Gulf forces out, out," demonstrators chanted in Baquba, many of them carrying Bahraini flags. Shia around the Middle East have denounced the crackdown, with nationwide protests called in Iraq on Friday by radical Shia cleric Muqtada Al-Sadr.

Several hundred protesters also were gathering at Baghdad's Tahrir Square for protests after weekly Friday prayers. In the holy city of Najaf in central Iraq, the spiritual guide of the Shia sect, Grand Ayatollah Ali Al-Sistani, suspended religious classes for the day in solidarity with the people of Bahrain, a source in his office said.

By
AFP
الرجوع الى أعلى الصفحة اذهب الى الأسفل
 
Forces In Action Over Libya
استعرض الموضوع السابق استعرض الموضوع التالي الرجوع الى أعلى الصفحة 
صفحة 1 من اصل 1

صلاحيات هذا المنتدى:لاتستطيع الرد على المواضيع في هذا المنتدى
البيت الآرامي العراقي :: منتديات عامة متنوعة Miscellaneous General forums :: منتدى باللغة الانكليزية English Forum-
انتقل الى: