البيت الآرامي العراقي

Military Families Forgotten  Welcome2
Military Families Forgotten  619888zqg202ssdr
البيت الآرامي العراقي

Military Families Forgotten  Welcome2
Military Families Forgotten  619888zqg202ssdr
البيت الآرامي العراقي
هل تريد التفاعل مع هذه المساهمة؟ كل ما عليك هو إنشاء حساب جديد ببضع خطوات أو تسجيل الدخول للمتابعة.

البيت الآرامي العراقي

سياسي -ثقافي-أجتماعي

الرئيسيةالرئيسيةبحـثس .و .جالتسجيلarakeyboardchald keyboardدخول

Military Families Forgotten

اذهب الى الأسفل 
كاتب الموضوعرسالة
Dr.Hannani Maya
المشرف العام
المشرف العام
Dr.Hannani Maya

Military Families Forgotten  Usuuus10
Military Families Forgotten  8-steps1a
الدولة : العراق
الجنس : ذكر
عدد المساهمات : 60556
مزاجي : أحب المنتدى
تاريخ التسجيل : 21/09/2009
الابراج : الجوزاء
العمل/الترفيه العمل/الترفيه : الأنترنيت والرياضة والكتابة والمطالعة

Military Families Forgotten  Empty
مُساهمةموضوع: Military Families Forgotten    Military Families Forgotten  Icon_minitime1السبت 10 ديسمبر 2011 - 1:47

Military Families Forgotten  Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTB4Xk9w5MQw1K9F8ELMCVt1EkG5eCnXqxOKCpcHj3q6oogPS1W6w Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, a group has focused on issues affecting combat veterans, has expanded its mission to include military families.In a report released Wednesday, the group says the extended combat deployments have taken their toll on spouses and children, financially and emotionally, and government isn’t doing enough to help.

The report is called Unsung Heroes: Military Families After 10 Years of War, and IAVA officials call it the “first and most comprehensive of its kind” because it looks at a wide range of problems and suggests solutions.

During deployments, “spouses face an increased likelihood of anxiety, depression, sleeping problems and other mental disorders as the result of the stress of separation and fear for their service members’ lives,” the report says. Also children “face developmental challenges resulting from similar stresses, frequent moves and households managed by single parents.”

Challenges facing families don’t stop when the deployment is over, the report says. “In many ways, they are just beginning. The reunion of family members can be an exciting and happy time, but it can also cause stress and unforeseen emotional challenges.

The report also says financial burdens on families “have also been significant and imposing.” Spouses have problems finding work, and there are predatory lenders promising quick and easy solutions to financial problems that can get families even deeper in trouble

“Military families are often lured into taking these loans because they believe they have no other options. Combined with high extension fees, the borrowers subsequently get stuck in a cycle of debt,” the report says.

The report includes six primary recommendations for helping families.

• To help spouses fine jobs, professional licenses and certifications that would be more uniform and portable so they apply across state lines, something IAVA previously recommended to help separating service members find work.

• Affordable and high-quality child care services need to be more accessible, especially for families who live off base where there are fewer affordable options.

• Service members and families need more protection from predatory and abusive lenders.

• More mental health providers are needed who understand military culture and who can help service members and families.

• To reduce the chances of military children falling behind in school because of frequent moves, uniform graduation requirements would help to eliminate differences between school districts. The report says a military child changes schools six to nine times before they graduate from high school.

• More public awareness campaigns are needed to both raise awareness about the challenges facing military families and to try to get the general public to provide help.

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to TwitterShare to Facebook

Reactions:
0 comments Military Families Forgotten  Icon18_email Military Families Forgotten  Icon18_edit_allbkg Links to this post

Iraqi reporter brought courage

Military Families Forgotten  Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2iGqNVaJQN0Lxj3Y3xRjPShPpJwyQ5lhPeETx95tFDdyp8nIN Yasser Salihee was killed on his day off.The irony is breathtaking, if you knew Yasser and the risks he took to gather scraps of truth in a place filled with deceit and danger. Yasser worked as an Iraqi correspondent for Knight Ridder, relentlessly pursuing stories that put him in harm's way because he wanted to show American readers the realities of life in a war zone.

His curiosity took him across Iraq. He interviewed an insurgent leader at a clandestine meeting in Baghdad. He braved the road through the "Triangle of Death" to cover the aftermath of a battle in Najaf. He kept his cool in Fallujah as he convinced rebels with grenade launchers that we were "just journalists."

But Yasser, 30, wasn't just a journalist. He was also a husband and father, and on June 24 he was shot and killed on the way to get gas to drive his family to the swimming pool. The U.S. Army is investigating Yasser's death; it appears that an American sniper fired the shot that flew through his windshield, pierced his skull and ended a life that was bursting with promise. There's no reason to think that the shooting had anything to do with his reporting work.

We know that at least 1,700 American troops have died so far in this war. However, for two years and counting, the U.S. military has refused to release statistics on civilians killed in the Iraq war. They die anonymously, every day, at checkpoints and in raids and in suicide attacks. They are crushed when bombs fall on their homes; they are caught in crossfire between insurgents and American troops. Like Yasser, they die on lovely summer days, while looking forward to splashing in the pool, enjoying some rare time off.

Little is known about the innocent Iraqis who pay the ultimate price for a war conducted in the name of their liberation. But because Yasser happened to be a journalist, a dogged chronicler of every milestone in his country for the past year, his story survives.

Our Baghdad bureau was looking for an office manager—not a reporter—when Yasser breezed into my hotel room in early 2004 and announced that he'd like to work for Knight Ridder. He was a physician struggling to make ends meet on the dismal salary that the Iraqi Health Ministry paid. After Saddam Hussein's regime fell, Yasser had worked with Japanese reporters and with National Public Radio, but he was looking for a permanent job to help support his wife and young daughter.

I just found the notes I took from that job interview, precious lines from a first meeting with a man who would become a dear friend and colleague. I had scribbled down stories he'd covered: "arrival of troops," "Saddam's capture," "spider hole," "Sistani." And biographical information: "has travel documents," "doctor."

Yasser impressed us as charming, intelligent and eager, so we hired him on the spot.He turned out to be a favorite for the stream of Knight Ridder journalists who came from far and wide for eight-week reporting stints in Baghdad. Besides helping us make sense of Iraqi politics and violence, Yasser showed his new American friends slivers of Iraq that never seemed to make it into the headlines.

Yasser taught a reporter from Philadelphia how to wear an Arab headdress. He introduced another to the best ice-cream cones in Baghdad. He took a photographer from San Jose, Calif., to the mountains of northern Kurdistan. Another reporter from California chugged across the Tigris River with him on a rickety motorboat. For a goodbye gift, Yasser gave the Berlin correspondent "perhaps the largest rug known to mankind."

Yasser happily accepted grueling, perilous assignments, and he rejoiced when his work appeared on the front pages of newspapers across the United States. He asked our home bureau in Washington for copies of his stories and ignored his colleagues' teasing when he proudly taped them to the wall in front of his desk. He was an integral part of Knight Ridder's courageous Iraqi staff, the men and women who make it possible for us to keep covering the news in the face of grave threats to Western correspondents.There was never a more bitter test of our bureau's strength than the day Yasser died.

Tom Lasseter, a Knight Ridder reporter who works in Iraq year-round, hid his devastation behind stoicism as he immediately began fielding calls from other media representatives and requesting a full investigation from the U.S. military. Working alongside him was Omar Jassim, our office manager, who decided which drivers and correspondents were calm enough to rush to the scene and retrieve the bloody body. Those same Iraqi staff members later carried Yasser's coffin at the funeral.

The bureau was awash in tears and memories. As the news spread, condolences poured into the Baghdad office from around the world.

"We have all worked as a team, where each player has grown. Yasser has been an outstanding part of that team, and his loss hurts deeply," wrote Steve Butler, Knight Ridder's foreign editor in Washington. "The work he did was excellent. We will never know what he might have become. But I do know that what he did was important, for America and for Iraq."

Yasser came to journalism by circumstance, but grew to embody the old-fashioned, shoe-leather tradition of digging up great stories and finding compelling ways to tell them. He sucked up reporters' lingo, rushing back from a bombing scene to tell us he'd gotten "great color" to make readers care about what's unfortunately become a routine story. Shortly before his death, I joked to him that I was worried about my job; he was becoming too good at this business.

Yasser loved journalism so much that he confided that he wasn't sure he'd ever work again as a doctor. But his medical expertise was never far away. In the office, we ran to him with our stomachaches, bruises, eye infections and dehydration. I was once so ill that Yasser decided I needed an injection. I stuck out my arm for the needle and he laughed: "Uh, no. It has to be in the, um, backside." He couldn't help chuckling at my embarrassment.

His medical work extended beyond the office. Yasser broke off an interview with a famous Iraqi politician to take the man's blood pressure. After one particularly bloody bombing, Yasser returned to the bureau late and exhausted. We found out he'd not only covered the story, he'd also helped the overwhelmed doctors at the scene treat the wounded. As he put it to me later, "I was doing sutures, taking notes, doing sutures, taking notes."

Yasser's demanding job as a reporter inevitably meant less time with his wife, a doctor named Raghad, and their adorable, blue-eyed daughter, 2-year-old Danya. He raved about his family, brought them to staff dinners and posted photos of them in the office. I went to offer my condolences to Raghad this week, but instead of my pretty friend I found a shell of a woman with sunken eyes and layers of black mourning clothes.

Yasser's widow showed me photos of their wedding day, a huge celebration with white lace and a tall cake. Raghad managed a small laugh as she recounted how this fearless doctor had fainted in the hospital when she gave birth to their daughter.

For that daughter, Raghad is saving Yasser's newspaper articles, his notebooks, even the blood-soaked press card retrieved from the scene of his death. She made us promise to continue covering Iraq and said she wished her English were better so that she could take his place in the bureau.

Yasser had hoped to travel to London soon on a journalism fellowship. He showed me a copy of the essay he'd written for the application. He described the dangers that journalists in Iraq face, writing that the obstacles were enough to make anyone want to quit. Then he added:"But for me, I decided to carry on as a doctor and a foreign reporter at the same time because I found it very important to tell the people outside about what's really going on."

Hannah Allam - McClatchy Newspapers
الرجوع الى أعلى الصفحة اذهب الى الأسفل

الرجوع الى أعلى الصفحة 
صفحة 1 من اصل 1

صلاحيات هذا المنتدى:لاتستطيع الرد على المواضيع في هذا المنتدى
البيت الآرامي العراقي :: منتديات عامة متنوعة Miscellaneous General forums :: منتدى باللغة الانكليزية English Forum-
انتقل الى: