البيت الآرامي العراقي

Jul. 21, 2015   	     Chaldean voices- a tale of immigrants  Film review by Mimi Pollac Welcome2
Jul. 21, 2015   	     Chaldean voices- a tale of immigrants  Film review by Mimi Pollac 619888zqg202ssdr
البيت الآرامي العراقي

Jul. 21, 2015   	     Chaldean voices- a tale of immigrants  Film review by Mimi Pollac Welcome2
Jul. 21, 2015   	     Chaldean voices- a tale of immigrants  Film review by Mimi Pollac 619888zqg202ssdr
البيت الآرامي العراقي
هل تريد التفاعل مع هذه المساهمة؟ كل ما عليك هو إنشاء حساب جديد ببضع خطوات أو تسجيل الدخول للمتابعة.

البيت الآرامي العراقي

سياسي -ثقافي-أجتماعي

الرئيسيةالرئيسيةبحـثس .و .جالتسجيلarakeyboardchald keyboardدخول

Jul. 21, 2015 Chaldean voices- a tale of immigrants Film review by Mimi Pollac

اذهب الى الأسفل 
كاتب الموضوعرسالة
Dr.Hannani Maya
المشرف العام
المشرف العام
Dr.Hannani Maya

Jul. 21, 2015   	     Chaldean voices- a tale of immigrants  Film review by Mimi Pollac Usuuus10
Jul. 21, 2015   	     Chaldean voices- a tale of immigrants  Film review by Mimi Pollac 8-steps1a
الدولة : العراق
الجنس : ذكر
عدد المساهمات : 60487
مزاجي : أحب المنتدى
تاريخ التسجيل : 21/09/2009
الابراج : الجوزاء
العمل/الترفيه العمل/الترفيه : الأنترنيت والرياضة والكتابة والمطالعة

Jul. 21, 2015   	     Chaldean voices- a tale of immigrants  Film review by Mimi Pollac Empty
مُساهمةموضوع: Jul. 21, 2015 Chaldean voices- a tale of immigrants Film review by Mimi Pollac   Jul. 21, 2015   	     Chaldean voices- a tale of immigrants  Film review by Mimi Pollac Icon_minitime1الأربعاء 22 يوليو 2015 - 23:04

Jul. 21, 2015

Chaldean voices- a tale of immigrants
Film review by Mimi Pollack

Jul. 21, 2015   	     Chaldean voices- a tale of immigrants  Film review by Mimi Pollac 21_E3_6
Photo: Film makers Miguel Angel Soria and Peter Alkatib
اقتباس :
(San Diego’s East County): As an ESL teacher at Grossmont College, the majority of students in my classes are Iraqi and Iraqi Chaldean. Thus, I had a particular interest in the documentary, “Chaldean Voices”, which I saw Friday evening at “Documentaries on the Prado” at the Museum of Photographic Arts in Balboa Park. Chaldeans are Christian Iraqis. Most have fled their war-torn home and with the exception of Detroit, Michigan, the largest number of Chaldeans now lives in El Cajon, California, and surrounding neighborhoods.
For those who have never heard of the Chaldeans, the film does a good job of introducing them, telling a little of their background, how they came to be in El Cajon and The United States, and the horrors many of them lived through before getting here.
My only complaint is that with its title, I expected the film to cover more of the population, and tell more stories. Instead, it focuses on the lives of several students at Diego Valley, a Learn4Life charter school in El Cajon.
It also focuses on the school and the innovative “one on one” teaching provided there. One important point is how the teachers strive to teach Chaldean and other immigrant students about being civically engaged. This leads to the process they went through to get the El Cajon City Council to enact September as Chaldean American month, starting in 2015.\I felt particularly interested in two of the students who were interviewed. One of them went to school and worked so many hours that he got by on just two or three hours of sleep. For me, this was a familiar story that many of my college students go through. It just shows the determination they have. The other student I found interesting was a very bright young woman who spoke of finding her way in this new land and trust issues after having been through so much.
The filmmakers, Peter Alkatib and Miguel Angel Soria, made their film with heart and soul. Both of them possess an innate sweetness. Peter is full of youthful enthusiasm and a bit of naiveté. Miguel Angel, a graduate of USD, also has that sweetness and enthusiasm, but his is also tempered by his many years of activism. Miguel Angel was once a member and artistic director of the Taco Shop Poets. He also was the program director for the New Americans Museum, which celebrates immigrants who have arrived in the United States since WWII. Thus, it was important for him to have this minority voice heard and encourage empowerment to his students at Diego Valley, where he is also a teacher.
Even though I thought the film could have been more expansive in its range of voices, I liked the heart of the film which showed that these young Chaldeans, like so many immigrant youth, struggle when they first arrive in the country as they navigate a new language and culture. It was heartening to see the majority of them receive their high school diplomas at the end of the film and to know that they are optimistic about their future in their new country.
This film will be shown on September 1st on KPBS television. September will be the first Chaldean/ American month in El Cajon with many activities planned. Website: Chaldeanvoices.com
Jul. 21, 2015   	     Chaldean voices- a tale of immigrants  Film review by Mimi Pollac 21_E3_7
Mimi Pollack is an ESL teacher at Grossmont College and a freelance writer.
eastcountymagazine.org

الرجوع الى أعلى الصفحة اذهب الى الأسفل

Jul. 21, 2015 Chaldean voices- a tale of immigrants Film review by Mimi Pollac
الرجوع الى أعلى الصفحة 
صفحة 1 من اصل 1

صلاحيات هذا المنتدى:لاتستطيع الرد على المواضيع في هذا المنتدى
البيت الآرامي العراقي :: منتديات عامة متنوعة Miscellaneous General forums :: منتدى باللغة الانكليزية English Forum-
انتقل الى: